Rolling Programme of Gift to Nature Site Improvements
We have a rolling programme of improvements to our sites. This is determined by need, opportunity and access to funding.
Our current site improvement projects are:
- Working with Totland Parish Council to integrate a new site – Turvills Field – into our portfolio.
- Working with Natural England to introduce grazing to Rew Down Local Nature Reserve in Ventnor.
- Working with Natural England and Godshill Parish Council to improve the condition of Munsley Bog, to replace the boardwalk and to add a Troll Trail.
Since 2016 we have undertaken upgrades to may of the Gift to Nature sites. These include:
- Working with Totland Parish Council to improve interpretation at One Horse Field.
- Working with Wight AONB to improve access at Sandown Community Orchard.
- Working with Heritage Lottery Fund on a major revamping of Golden Hill Country Park in the West Wight.
- Working with Postcode Lottery Trust to improve create a picnic area and improve access and interpretation at Blackgang Viewpoint.
- Working with Isle of Wight Council to bring Rosemary Fields in Ryde into the Gift to Nature portfolio.
- Working with Niton and Whitwell Parish Council to bring Castlehaven Village Green into the Gift to Nature portfolio.
- Working with Awards for All and the Isle of Wight Council Local Sustainability Fund to improve access and interpretation at Merstone Station.
- Working with Heritage Lottery Fund and Vesta Blades to improve Dodnor Creek and Dickson’s Copse Local Nature Reserve and rediscover the historic cement kilns in Newport.
- Working with Postcode Lottery Trust to improve access and interpretation at Brading Down Local Nature Reserve.
- Working with Awards for All to improve access and interpretation at Sandown Community Orchard .
- Working with the East Wight Landscape Partnership to introduce grazing to Nansen Hill in between Shanklin and Ventnor.
- Working with Postcode Lottery Trust, Ryde Town Council, and Tesco Bags for Help there has been a £33,000 programme of improving paths and managing scrub at Pig Leg Lane, Ryde.
- Working with Newport Parish Council and the Suez Community Trust to deliver a £38,000 scheme to allow local people to enjoy Pan Mill Meadows, Newport.